Monday, February 13, 2012

The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker


Book Description: Two abandoned souls are on the hunt for one powerful man. Soon, their paths will cross and lead to one twisted fate.

Danny Hansen is a Bosnian immigrant who came to America with hopes of escaping haunted memories of a tragic war that took his mother's life. Now he's a priest who lives by a law of love and compassion. It is powerful men and hypocrites who abide by legal law but eschew the law of love that most incense Danny. As an avenging angel, he believes it is his duty to show them the error of their ways, at any cost.

Renee Gilmore is the frail and helpless victim of one such powerful man. Having escaped his clutches, she now lives only to satisfy justice by destroying him, regardless of whom she must become in that pursuit.

But when Danny and Renee's paths become inexorably entangled things go very, very badly and neither of them may make it out of this hunt alive.

Judge not, or you too will be judged.


My Thoughts: Every time I finish a book by Ted Dekker I shake my head and say "wow." And that's pretty much all I can say after the crazy ride I just went on. The Priest's Graveyard is intense and thrilling and challenging. It messes with your mind and you're not sure what's right and what's wrong. How far would you go, rather, how far should you go, to stop someone from hurting someone else? In the story, Danny believes it's his job to go as far as killing someone to save the people that person is hurting. And the crazy thing is, I felt myself cheering Danny on and agreeing with his reasoning. That really shocked me! I was siding myself with the "bad guy!" The Priests Graveyard also explores themes of judging others and revenge. But ultimately, this story is about love and grace. This book is dark. But just like Dekker's other books it's in the darkest moments that the light comes through the brightest. Amazing how that works, huh? I've fallen in love with these characters and am looking forward to seeing them again. Ted did an amazing job at writing in first person female. It pulled me in and I felt like I was Renee. This book is a thrilling story. It'll take your breath away. And make you cry. And laugh. It will change the way you think about people. This is definitely one of Ted's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment